- About 24% of all pregnancies end in abortion.1
- Since 1973 there have been approximately 48 million abortions in the U.S. That’s 1.4 million per year, 3900 per day.2
- Only 1% of abortions are due to cases of rape or incest.3
- According to one study, women chose abortion for the following reasons:4
- 25.5% Want to have children later in life
- 21.3% Cannot afford a baby
- 14.1% Relationship problems or partner does not want pregnancy
- 12.2% Too young; parents or others object to pregnancy
- 10.8% Having a child will disrupt education or job
- 7.9% Want no (more) children
- 3.3% Risk to fetal health
- 2.8% Risk to maternal health
- 2.1% Other
- 19% of all abortions are performed on teenagers. 33% of all abortions are performed on women ages 20-24.5
- 78% of Americans believe parental notification should be required before a teenager can get an abortion.6
For more information on abortion or to make an appointment please contact us at 831-475-2200.
Or view our website at https://www.santacruzprc.org/.
- Finer LB and Henshaw SK, "Estimates of U.S. Abortion Incidence, 2001-2003," Guttmacher Institute. Retrieved August 2007 from http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/2006/08/03/ab_incidence.pdf.
- National Right to Life, "Abortion in the United States: Statistics and Trends."
- Guttmacher Institute, "Induced Abortion Facts in Brief," 2002. (13,000 out of 1.31 million abortions in 2000 were on account of rape or incest).
- Bankole et al., "Reasons Why Women Have Induced Abortions: Evidence from 27 Countries," International Family Planning Perspectives (1998). Also see Lawrence B. Finer, Lori F. Frohwirth, Lindsay A. Dauphinee, Susheela Singh, and Ann M. Moore, "Reasons U.S. Women Have Abortions: Quantitative and Qualitative Perspectives", Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 37(3):110-118 (September 2005).
- Jones RK, Darroch JE and Henshaw SK, "Patterns in the socioeconomic characteristics of women obtaining abortions in 2000–2001," Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 2002, 34(5):226–235.
- FOX News/Opinion Dynamics Poll. April 25-26, 2005: "Do you think a female under age 18 should be required by state law to notify at least one parent or guardian before having an abortion?" 78% yes, 17% no.