Is he or she the right one for you?
How healthy is your relationship? How do you know if someone is the right person? Ask yourself the following questions:
- Are they committed to achieving their future goals and dreams?
- Do they have similar values as me? Can we talk about our values openly?
- Do I like their friends?
- Does my family like them?
- Can we talk about our differences or problems when they arise?
- Do they use tobacco, alcohol, or other drugs?
- Are they ever physically or emotionally abusive?
- Do they respect my decision to stay abstinent? Do they push me to go farther sexually than I’m comfortable with?
- Do we have fun together? Do we enjoy spending time together?
- Do we enjoy learning about each other’s interests, likes and dislikes?
- Am I attracted to the whole person, or is the attraction only physical?
- Do I admire and respect them as a person?
- Can I be myself when I’m around them?
- Do I trust them?
- Do we compliment and encourage each other?
- Are they mature or immature?
- How do they handle:
- personal tragedy?
- personal conflict?
- important decisions?
- Do they make me feel:
As you get to know someone, keep these questions in mind. A person’s true character is revealed over time. That’s why it’s important not to move too quickly. Focus on building a friendship and you’ll soon discover if someone is worth dating or not.